We’re auditioning people aged 65+ for a developmental workshop of our latest project, Primer For a Failed Superpower, a theatrical concert event.
The final piece, slated for 2016 in New York, will feature a multigenerational cover band of TEAM ensemble members, teenagers and elders playing songs of social/political outrage, intercut with movement and candid conversation between 3 generations about personal and national power.
We Are Seeking:
Community-minded citizens ages 65+ with an interest in collaboration and performing. Musical ability is a plus, opinions and the willingness to creatively express them is a must.
- Performance experience, musical capability
- Willingness and ability to perform and contribute autobiographical material
- The ability to generate collaborative material (including spoken and written material as well as movement/choreography)
- Diversity of experience in living and relating to our country
The workshop will take place April 5-18, 2015 in Brooklyn, with daily rehearsals for the senior ensemble from 2pm to 5pm. The workshop will conclude with a public presentation of the work-in-progress on April 18. Some schedule flexibility is possible—please be sure to include any schedule conflicts for the workshop dates in your email to schedule an audition.
The workshop will be unpaid, but a travel stipend will be provided to all participants.
To schedule an audition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Primer Auditions” in the subject heading, and include your full name and contact information. A representative of the company will be in touch with you to schedule an appointment.
To audition, please prepare the following:
1) Choose a song that feels like your America to bring to your audition. We will be able to play cds, mp3 files, YouTube videos, or plug our speakers into a headphone jack on most phones, laptops, or an iPod/Pad.
2) Fill in the blanks, and be prepared to speak the text for us:
When I was born, I was ______________.
I grew to view my country as a __________________.
I heard this song: _________________________
Which made me feel like _________________________.
I wondered what I could do to change that.
All around me, I see _____________________.
I want you to ___________________________.
I sing because ___________________________.
Then play (either yourself with an instrument, or a recording) or sing us your song from the first activity.
Please also bring with you a resume of relevant performance experience, or a brief bio about yourself, and a recent picture.